Jul 22, 2009

Are you ready for this?

To participate in Seth Apter's Buried Treasure project, I've cast aside all modesty to share with you not one of my favorite posts and art works from the past but the first of each in my newly reclaimed life as an artist oh not so long ago actually . . .

First ever post (which got 0 comments by the way - hee hee - this is me before even one little person in the blog and altered art world even knew I existed not that that many know I do now!)

Sep 18, 2008

Oooooohhhhh . . . here it goes

I am standing on the edge of the pool. I've been here a w hile, a lllooonnnggg while, just looking, dipping a toe in once in awhile, splashing a few tiny drops on my other foot, just trying it out. Right now, right this moment, I'm in that place that you just grab your nose, count to three, close your eyes, and jump in. Those split seconds in which you wonder if the water will be too cold, if you'll hit your head on the way in and drown, if you'll hit the bottom and scrape your knee, if you'll breathe in too soon and suffer from that awful sinus burn and pop up coughing and hacking with stuff hanging from your nose.

But then . . . you realize . . . people are watching, you realize people just WANT you to jump in. It may have been much easier for them and they can't for the life of them wonder what the heck you're so worried about. Or, they may have been just like you - afraid to do it. But they did. They've done it, they're in the pool, they're floatin' around and doin' handstands and other nifty water frolicking tricks . . . they love it and they know you will love it too if you just get over yourself and dive in.

Okay, so . . . (grabbing my nose) 1, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3, big breath in . . .

And I can't believe I'm going to show you this, but here is my first ever collage, made last August. It's name is, cleverly,

First Collage (I'm kidding - it has no name - mayb e "Collage Which Will Remain Nameless and Hidden Away)


copyright by Marsha Jorgensen August 2008.
I can't remember all the details now, but the picture is from my own collection of vintage photogrpahs and the rest of the pieces are all rubber stamps and Dover clipart.


So it could be worse, but it is so different from what I do now. And someday I will probably feel the same about the way I work now. My friend and idol Suzan Buckner of Thrifty Collage Artist sent me a picture of one of her first pieces once and it involved pipe cleaners, which horrified her and greatly entertained me. I actually loved it! (It's still better than any collage of mine!) Oh the eye of the beholder . . .

If this is your first time here, please scroll down and see some of my more recent work or go to my flickr here. You may not like it any better, but it will make me FEEL better for some reason. Oh no, can't do it, can't resist the urge to put one little piece up of one of my favorite pieces (I always like my last piece best for some reason). You can click on her to see the rest of her - she's linked to my flickr)

Beauty Queen


Before I go, I just want to thank everyone for their support of our flickr Stop Art Piracy Campaign Project. I didn't get through all of the blogs I like to visit tonight, but I lost count of how many have posted a graphic from our group up on their blogs! Wow, what an amazing thing to see! Hopefully we'll get the message out that we understand we all learn, share and even mimic each other to grow in our work, but out and out downloadking and reusing another colleague's efforts and work without their permission is not okay. If you want to know more you can visit the posts below (don't miss the work of other artists helping get the word out here and on the flickr site) and/or the link to the group in my upper right hand corner.

31 comments:

June said...

Awww Marsha, I love them both. I think your newer work is more focussed and you have found who you are art wise but i love the first piece too. I am still flailing about madly in the art pool lol but then i always was a jack of all trades and master of non ... I just delight in creating even if i am not an artist as such.
Lovin your work my friend ... and your blogs
Hugs June xxx

Rosie said...

I think it's wonderful that you can identify how far you've travelled. Think I'm about waist deep now, as I inched in slowly rather than jumping!! Your work is beautiful and gives me so much pleasure - coming here always makes me smile, so THANK YOU!.

WingingIt said...

i love your artwork darling...it inspires me to be a bit more lighthearted!!! thank you

Marit said...

I read your first post last week (really! I always read first posts from people when I like their blog!) and recognized the feeling! Love the way you wrote it! I like the colours on the first collage, but yes, your last one is more in balance and focused! Oh, and I'm planning to post a graphic for the Stop Art Piracy campaign later this week/weekend.

Unknown said...

very cool art

said...

Well, I hate to disappoint you {LOL} but I really like your first collage. :o)

Kim Mailhot said...

Do you realize how far you have come ?
Not just in the collages (I like the first one, but have to say it doesn't have that true Marsha edge that your more recent pieces do), but in your pool time fun and frolicking ? You are so in there now ! You are even leading a class in a new uncharted territory - stopping piracy in our pool ! Now that is a treasure so very worthy of being uncovered ! You have come a long way, Baby ! It is wonderful to watch you swim !

Nancy Baumiller said...

Well I like your first piece! Maybe I otta show mine OMG be prepared...it's hilarious and you might not want to be drinking anything at the time of viewing...of course ya might need a drink afterwards! HA! ;O)Great post! xoxo

Jamie said...

I think you first piece is great, but you have grown into your true artist's voice over these months. Your art is inspiring and wonderfully magical to me. When I showed my first collage to my husband he said, "That looks like Monty Python." NOT what I was going for! I posted about it awhile ago under my Bad art catagory. LOL!!!

I wrote about you here:
http://readarteology.blogspot.com/2009/07/marsha-marsha-marsha.html

I will be adding to the Flicker Group soon:) Love, Jamie

Terri Kahrs said...

I'm in the center of the pool approaching deep water (wearing my swimmies & doggie paddling ferociously). Am watching you calmly walk to edge of high diving board, and then you've gracefully executed a swan dive! People are yelling and clapping wildly!!!! Solid "Tens" for the dive!!

Seriously, My Dear Friend, I'm so happy you've reposted. I'm so happy you dove in. I'm so happy to witness your evolution and success. You give so many of us hope,inspiration and encouragement. I'm thrilled to bear witness to your journey! Hugs & Love, Terri xoxo

indybev said...

Just look at the waves you're causing in the pool! Your art has grown to develop the wonderful, distinctive individuality that says "Marsha did this" that we all admire. You are unfailingly generous with supportive comments and information. I join the ranks of Tumblefish groupies!

Michele said...

You know what? I totally remember reading that post! And I remember thinking how cool your collage piece was, and wishing I could make something similar. (For some reason, no matter how hard I try to do stuff like someone else, it never comes out that way. But that's a good thing I suppose.) :)

It's funny, but I just noticed after reading your post this time around, that you and I started "art-ing" at the same time. :)

I love how dedicated you are. Your artwork is so inspirational and fun, and I just love your characters in each piece. It's always a delight to see what you will come up with next.

P.S. thanks for the wonderful comments you made on my blog, I'm extremely flattered you consider my art worth praising!

Unknown said...

For your first collage, I must say I'm impressed...these look great!

MrCachet said...

Anybody with the word FISH as part of their blog name can't be all bad. LOL. I'm hooked on old paper. Period. You use it. You're good! I'll troll around, but won't drag anything into my boat I shouldn't.

A - Zinnia Productions said...

Marsha...You are a REAL artist. You have the heart and soul of an artist. I can't tell you how much I really enjoy watching you grow on your journey. It is after all, a journey. And we as a community are so lucky to have you. Keep growing friend, and don't ever be embarrassed of your "baby pictures." Love and hugs, Cristina

MrCachet said...

Marsha, I don't know how much fishing you had time for when you visited, but if you missed Chocolate Fishes, you really should go back. This is a lure I'm danglin' here - especially if you like CHOCOLATE & FISH!

Unknown said...

Fun to see your first collage piece...not so sure I'd be brave enough to show mine...funny as time goes on how you develop your own style that is often SO different from your earliest work....

Glad the whole copycat thing got worked out and hurray for you starting that Flickr group.

NANCY LEFKO said...

that was me posting as "Gregory"....forgot that my son had been signed in on his Google account....LOL

~Nancy

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your first collage is SOOOOO much better than mine and probably better than my current art. You are one talented and humble gal!!

julia said...

Isn't it fun to see how our art changes over time? Appreciating the beginning is so important :) They are both beautiful!
Julia

Tace said...

Ms. TumbleFish, I love seeing the *firsts* I find them fascinating. It's cool to look back on the beginnings of work and see how cool it looked but also see how it's changed over time. I do that with my sculpting, I have hands I made years back that I hold on to, so to speak, so I can see the differences between now and then. Now on an un-related and slightly stalker-esque note might you email me your mailing address? I got my 20 copies in the mail today, ohhhh boyohboyohboyohboy I will mail you one!!!

Caterina Giglio said...

love your work and your blog!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Love your artwork Marsha from beginning to.......it's all good, very very good!!!
oxo ~*~ Patty

Unknown said...

Marsha there you were peeking through and sharing with the world for the first time your lovely artwork! At least I think form what I read it was the first time:)

Isn't it amazing how blogging helps improve ones self. Finding new friends with new inspirations to help mold us as artists into new and wonderful beings!

I am so glad I have you as a friend you make me laugh and you make my mind race with new and fun things I want to create! You have that special charm about you:)

I wanted to thank you for the Piracy badge which I have posted with the link on my blog. How fitting to have a lovely piece created by you to grace my blog. That way I can share a little bit of your creative talent with everyone who travels through.

Have a magical day!
XXXOOO

Nettie Edwards said...

Well, it's a long walk down the line now to leave a comment on your blog Marsha!!! Please pop over to my blog, when you have time and collect the award I've left there for you x

Unknown said...

Marsha, I can totally relate. It's a big jump. It's scary. But look how many friends you have made. You are a brave women. Many blessings in all your endevors.

beth in paso robles

femminismo said...

Spooky lady with the "Admit One" tickets. I like both collages and your banner is T-riffic! Can't believe it's my first time here. I'm about halfway through Seth's Altered Page links to reposting pages. - Jeanne in Oregon

Kim Palmer said...

What a hoot Marsha! Loved your writing and the bravery you displayed in posting your first again for all to see. Bravo! Love seeing how far you've come, now I know there's hope for the rest of us! Hvae been quietly stalking your blog for ages, (Umm, in a good way though,LOL)! Splash away in the art pool!

3rdEyeMuse said...

I like that you were BRAVE and DID jump in ... I will say that I love your newer stuff - beauty queen is FABULOUS!

Sleepandhersisters said...

so very important to look back to these firsts and see how far we have come.
x

Seth said...

What a great, first post. And a lot more comments this time around! Wonderful beginning and it looks to me by your newest posts that you have enjoyed the journey!!