Jul 14, 2009

Tumble Fish

I wish you could see this in a black mat - it really pops, but it's too big for my scanner.

Tumble Fish


copyright by Marsha Jorgensen 7/14/09
This is an 8 x 10 collage using a body from lisasalteredart.etsy.com, a face and fish from keeperofthenest.etsy.com, wings and floor (a background I altered) from itkupilli.etsy.com, and a crown (altered) from spiceitup.etsy.com. The bucket, border, and grunge were purchased from various commercial use vendors and were layered over two backgrounds from flickr's 'Playingwithbrushes'. Except for the border and backgrounds which were altered and combined digitally, all pieces were printed, hand-trimmed, and edged or colored by hand and glued to the background.


Close up views (it doesn't show as well in the largest size here since it is bigger than my usual work)





Have I painted the fence? No. Have I gone to the grocery store? No. Have I blog visited as much as I planned? No. Have I showered? Gotcha! Yes, did get that done. I have had so much fun just playing yesterday and today. And shopping! I didn't spend all of my allowance from vacation and flea marketing so I have had quite a time shopping for images and elements online. I highly recommend lisasalteredart.etsy.com, keeperofthenest.etsy.com, spiceitup.etsy.com, and one of my new favorites itkupilli.etsy.com among just a few I regularly purshase from. (you can always read below my pieces where I get my images)

I especially want to tell you about Kirsi at Itkupilli. Wowee! What a gal, artist, and image maker! Her Etsy if plum full of deliciousness and so is her blog *iTkUpiLLi* ~ mY aRt aNd cRafTs. Pop over and check her out. She is very generous and very talented and you won't be disappointed!

So the playing part of today . . . I am slowly figuring out Gimp. I have PhotoShop Elements 7 but I am finding Gimp, which you can get for free (though I paid to download mine safely - $3.99), much easier to figure out. It even recognizes PS brushes so I'm liking that. By the way, there are some free brushes at Brusheezy.com. I figured out how to download and use PS brushes yesterday and today figured out how to change perspective so I can start making my own floors in my collages - very cool and useful thing to know.

Okay, I swear I am going to get to the store, the fence, and at least a few more blogs today.

15 comments:

Tace said...

WARNING: Lame joke ahead, proceed with caution....
I'm thinking if you havn't got round to the painting the fence it's because you're on the fence about painting the fence, OH har har. ;) Maybe you are secretly putting off the fence painting because you have secret subconcious urges to collage all over it..hmmmm..giant TumbleFish art installation? New California tourist stop? Hmmm, the possibilities. :)
I really love the color palette of "Tricky", all those icy blues. Very cooooool.

lilylovekin said...

I love your new piece. I imagine it does look great with a black mat. You know I bet you would get your fence painted if you could do it with photoshop! Glad you are letting the mundane go and just having fun.

Terri Kahrs said...

Sometimes a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do! Groceries? Who needs food when you're feeding your artful soul! LOL Playing and shopping are good for the soul too! Am happy to hear the song in your voice and to see the color in your digital paintbox. Hugs, Terri xoxo

PS - I've got an Itkupilli "habit" myself! Loooo-ve her stuff!

Nettie Edwards said...

Great to read how "buzzing" you are...the fence can wait (says she who has half a fence to paint herself). This piece is great,,,the colour pallet, all the little details...the starry wings...the idea of juggling with the fish. Very, very lovely. I can feel renewed energy!

Marit said...

I love this! The colour combo is great! I find it difficult myself to work with blues... love the way you used it!

yoborobo said...

Marsha - try the Tom Sawyer bit on the fence, it could work. Especially if you have a lot of young kids in the 'hood. As for groceries...well, uh, I've done poorly in that category this summer. LOL! You are a tekkie wizard! I'm still bumbling along on photoshop, look over your shoulder, that's me about ten miles back! Happy creating! xoxo Pam

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

I so adore what you create Marsha! Such fabulous eye candy...allways! :)

what is it about the computer....it has a way of just sucking us in and before we know it....hours have passed....such fun too!

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

Fence painting, groceries, laundry...
OR making art? and blogging?
Let's see--I choose art and blogging!
ANd I usually don't get the shower in either. Although I have to say that I forced myself to go grocery shopping yesterday rather than do art because I had NOTHING to eat.
So art wins out today rather than laundry.
I absolutely LOVE this piece of art!
I don't know if it's the beautiful color or content or everything but it's GORGEOUS!
Your work keeps getting better and better.
Glad your trip across the country was such a fun time.
cathy

Kim Mailhot said...

This piece is so Marsh-a-reffic ! Just gorgeous and I love the blue, sort of mono-chromatic look.

Fences can wait, artist's hearts, not so much ;) - at least that is what I keep telling myself !

I am still hanging with my visiting pal, Suzanne. We are having a blast and the weather is just gorgeous. She is here until Friday am and I promise to catch up with you more then !
Keep playing your heart out, lovely Marsha !

Sherry said...

Playing and having fun is sometimes more important and necessary than anything else (but glad you managed the shower!!).

House of Hullabaloo said...

What a clever juggler!

aliceinparis said...

She looks like a "down east girl" Loves her fish!
Good for you...moving right along with the digital manipulation studies:) I will get to it one day:)
I've got a friend visiting and have been not very good at visiting my fave peeps:) Hope all is well!
Cheers, Shelagh

thekathrynwheel said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Hee hee, it's great. Love the icy blue and love the fish :-)

bockel24 said...

what a wonderful piece, can´t get enough of it!!

Unknown said...

HOLY COW!!!! How did I miss this! Oh my gosh I feel like this almost everyday of my life! TO FUNNY I LOVE IT!!!!
XXXOOO