Feb 9, 2009

I'm not good at being deep . . .

I have decided to delete my very long and deep post about my internal philosophical struggles and recent personal enlightenment regarding art and how I feel my art fits into the scheme of things. Some of you feed to my blog so might still be able to read it. I don't know if you can read the comments or not. They were all great and I appreciated them, but I felt I might be leading everyone into deeper discussions than my small experience and knowledge can manage. And after rereading what I wrote and some of the comments I felt I was inviting a critique of someone else's work here which I do not want to host and we may have been edging in that direction. I am not qualified or interested in critiquing anyone but little ol' me either personally or privately or publicly. I don't even critique ME in proper form! And that was not my intended goal of my long post. I failed at communicating a significant turning point for me and that's okay - some things are hard to put into words. After rereading it all yet again, I sounded far more pretentious than I have any right to and that happens when I make everything about me and I was and it's not.

So, back to light and happy posts over here! (that may still be about me but I guess it is my blog, hee hee) Here's some light and happy in progress . . . (I'll credit images when the piece is done if I keep working on it - have to tweak that mouth a bit (kinda mussed it up in a hurry) but you get the idea)

5 comments:

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

OK, I follow your blog and so I was able to read that LONG post and I loved it! I went to comment and it
wouldn't let me :( BUt I understand why you removed it. I could see the comments heading in a healthy critical discussion of art. I haven't checked out the sites you were talking about but would like to see them. I just wanted to say how wonderfully eloquent your words were regarding our fears of not measuring up. I have that sinking feeling ALL the time. The daily tags that I make...if you go to flickr and see yesterday's tag... is about measuring up. I always give my tags a title; I write it on the back but I don't post them on flickr. Yesterday's tag title:
Do You Measure Up?
So, yes we ALL have that fear or inferiority complex when it comes to our art. I guess some folks have overcome it I'm still working hard at overcoming mine. I believe it will be an ongoing process.
I'll let you know how it goes!
In the meantime, I'm gonna try to go with my gut and to heck with what I think someone else might like!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Thanks Cathy! You hit some nails on the head. And, yup, it was about my struggle with these same things and finding ways to overcome them. Nothing bad was commented by anybody but I could see that maybe I was leading everyone in a direction I did not intend. I am headed off to flickr now!

hope505 said...

aw...heck. I missed "the long post" *haha!*

For what it's worth, I am a fairly confident artist, but was colossally humbled upon recently meeting another artist whose work I idolize. Ideal-ize, maybe.

My mom and I studied metaphysics, and we both strived to integrate this core teaching in our lives:
"Make no judgements. Make no comparisons. Eliminate your need to understand." & that would be definitely true in terms of Art. Judging and comparing lead to unhappiness or an inflated ego...sometimes Understanding will come, but the NEED to understand can be the cause of a great deal of unproductive wheel-spinning.

I love the little blue birdie...
* : )

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm a day late and a dollar short or whatever they say, as usual... so I didn't see the "long post" but I DO know without reading it that you always have thoughtful, compelling things to say in your writing and in your art. You're great, and that's all that I need to say ;-)
xoxo
Karen

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Ahhh, Karen, you sweetheart!