Mar 14, 2009

My baby . . .



Brag night. This is my baby, one of my two best creations in this life time. This picture is last year's high school soccer picture. We haven't received this year's yet and she changed high schools and colors when we moved this year. Anyhoo, Lauren made the varisty soccer team this year (as a sophomore) and tonight at the end-of-year soccer dinner (at our house which explains part of my loopiness lately), she received an award for best defender for her team AND was recognized as the best "sweeper" in the Northern Los Angeles league of high school teams. We are waiting to see if she will be recognized as one of the best defenders in all of Los Angeles. I am so proud of her, I can't tell you. This is the second year in a row that for two different high schools in two different leagues she received an award for best defender and was the only player on either team to play every minute of every game.

Beyond that she is one cool chick, great grades in honor classes, great friends, as sweet as they come, and three times been approached in public places to be in a commercial or TV show (the last time was just before Christmas). But she has her feet firmly on the ground and nose to the grind stone and doesn't seem all that interested in pursuing an acting or TV career. (maybe because her dad, who works in the movie industry, has jaded her against it) Above all, Lauren is hands down the one that can make me laugh to tears more than anyone in this world. She is my daughter and I her mother, but we are friends beyond that and she is one of my most favorite people to hang with in the world. We have never hit those terrible teen years you hear about. She is a joy to be around and inspires me daily. My biggest fear with Lauren is not her gigantic boyfriend or partying but driving which is fast approaching. I'm already nervous and wondering "how do parents do this?"

I have an older son I will brag about some day too but we will save him for another day so we don't make you completely nauseus tonight.

12 comments:

Hayley Egan said...

What a stunner... X

aliceinparis said...

She's beautiful, accomplished and your daughter!!!!! Hurrah!

Terri Kahrs said...

She's amazing and gorgeous! You did GOOD, Mom!
Hugs,
Terri :)

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

She is absolutely gorgeous and sounds like an amazing young woman. You have EVERY RIGHT TO BRAG. Moms are always good at bragging about their offspring. I myself do it ALOT!
As for the driver's license coming up... I wish I could offer comfort or suggestions but I'm at a loss. My daughter is 18 so she's had her license for over 2 years and I still get nervous when she's behind the wheel. The first time she drove alone I thought I was going to have to take a Valium! I paced the floor holding the phone and waiting for her to call when she got to her destination. So I'm definitely NOT the person to offer you advice on 'letting' them exert their independence. Sorry dear. I will however offer a shoulder to cry/lean on when she gets behind the wheel.Keep me posted...

BlueRidgeLady said...

Lauren is such a pretty girl and looks so much like you! Such an exciting time for her right now, the best times of her life! What an honor to receive those awards! Sounds like she has her priorities in order for sure.

My girls will be 24 & 23 in May, and I still get nervous. Now that I live an hr and half away from them, when I know they are coming up to see us I'm a nervous wreck. It's the ones that are out there driving like no one else is on the road and like they are invinceable that scare me! The other drivers! But they will learn like we all did and the best advice I can offer is to stay busy and keep your mind on other stuff!!!!

di from di-did-it said...

You are truly blessed, and oh so deserving of it!

PS ~ Thanks for posting a comment on my blog the other day. It was nice of you to swing by!

Linda Summerfield said...

Destined for something wonderful!!!

Cathy said...

congratulations to lauren. she's beautiful, marsha. does she look like her dad?? (heehee)

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Oh Cathy, I love you. You would fit in well with my family. you make me giggle so. Yeah, she looks mostly like her dad actually.

Becky Bunn said...

Brag away honey. It is your right. She is gorgeous. I have 2 teenagers so I hear ya on the driving thing. I don't think it ever gets easier being a parent. Just different with each stage.
Thanks for stopping by and your inspiring words on my "creepy art"

roc said...

wow marsha...your daughter is beautiful. i bet she looks just like her dad! haha ok..i had to tease you. it just wouldn't be me if i didn't. i can relate to those driving years. not pretty. did it twice and that gave me every gray hair i have. how nice to hear you love her so. that's just the way it should be.

Unknown said...

You have such a lovely daughter. And go ahead and brag on your children who cares if people get Nauseous!
XXX
Becky